An essential part of the civil construction industry in residential and commercial land development is installing appropriate drainage systems to protect buildings and infrastructure during intense rainfall and improve the process of stormwater run-off. Drain Layers work with plans to install, maintain or repair sewage and storm water drains to solve drainage /seepage problems. They repair wastewater treatment systems, below ground sanitary systems and on-site disposal systems on construction sites. Adequate drainage and correctly installed systems are integral to protecting public health and maintaining a pollution-free environment.
Certificate II in Drainage
Residential / Civil / Commercial / Resources
What might a working day look like?
May perform tasks including:
- Installing stormwater, sub soil drainage and below ground sanitary drainage systems
- Locating and clearing blockages from sanitary plumbing and drainage systems
- Using mechanically or manually operated drainage tools and equipment
- Cutting and welding pipes
- Inspecting problem drainage systems to determine the best procedures for repairing them
- Installing, testing or repairing septic tanks and wastewater treatment systems
- Planning layouts for residential sanitary systems
Working hours & conditions
- Full-time hours per week and/or on a contract basis
- After hours or weekend work may be required
- Working outdoors with other tradespeople on construction sites
- Early starts and frequent travel between sites
Skills and personal qualities
- Have a thorough and accurate approach to work as well as good maths skills
- Can solve problems and find solutions
- Enjoy doing a practical job and be physically fit for the demands of the work
- Have a strong awareness of safety, health and environmental issues
- Can work independently and as part of a team
How to get started
To become qualified in drain laying you can complete a Certificate II in Drainage via an 18 month traineeship.
Future Pathways and opportunities
- Business owner
- You may wish to go on and complete an apprenticeship in Civil Construction.