Interior designers plan and detail commercial and residential building interiors by providing advice and practical assistance on the finishing and furnishing of existing interior spaces. They may work as interior decorators or colour consultants (in retail), consulting businesses on their furniture, lighting, walls, partitions, flooring, colour, fabrics and graphics needs to produce a tailored environment.
Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
Residential / Commercial
What does a typical day look like?
Every day is different and varies depending on the job, but you may be required to:
- Design, draft, read and interpret plans
- Ensure spaces are effective and efficient for its needs
- Liaise with clients to determine their requirements
- Provide advice to clients on the design and specifications of a space
- Work with architects to design a space
- Estimate costs of material, labour and works to be completed
- Ensure all work completed is up to the required standard
- Prepare and administer tender or contract documents
- Coordinate labour, material and supplies to be on site when required including furnishings and colour selection
Skills and personal qualities
- Have a careful, methodical and accurate approach to work
- Keep up-to-date and be interested in the changing trends of décor and design
- Remain focused and continuously plan well
- Have the ability to troubleshoot issues in order to problem solve
- Be able to work as part of a team and provide some leadership or guidance to others
- Good technical knowledge and skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal communication)
How to get started?
An introduction to Interior Design can be to complete a Certificate II in Building and Construction– Paraprofessional (Business) pathway but to become a qualified Interior Designer you will need to complete a Certificate IV in Interior Decoration. Further studies include a Diploma and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design.
Future Pathways and opportunities
- Business owner or contractor
- Interior Decorator
- Property Stylist
- Colour Consultant
- Pre-Purchase Design Consultant
- Retail Design and Colour Consultant